Rizzoli opens in 1871 in Piedmont, in a city that at the time is Italian leader in the processing of fish preserves. Turin is located on the ancient Salt Road that connects it with the Port of Genoa, where the oily fish packed in wooden barrels arrives from, and where Luigi and Emilio Zefirino Rizzoli meet Romeo Tosi. A few years later they strategically moved to Parma to take advantage of advanced canning processes. Today, with awards for innovation and packaging as well as for the impeccably prepared products where the fish is still cleaned by hand as is the testing for when the anchovies have matured and are ready for packing. It is this attention to detail as well as history that keeps Rizzoli in the position of the best canned fish producer in Italy.